Monday, January 18, 2010

Thoughts From the First Day

I have always been a fan of film. Whether I am in the company of television or movies, I have no problem spending days in front of a screen and being entirely unproductive. Growing up on Disney movies (which have been proven to be not so kid-friendly) and Nickelodeon, I have gained a love for films of all kinds and have a collection that grows every year.
Yet Thursday's class caused me to realize that film has not always been so technologically advanced. Even modernly, film itself is still developing and changing. I was excited to see Avatar and witness the ground-breaking technology that was used to make the movie. It was definitely a milestone for film. After seeing such an advanced film production, it's fascinating to think that only 100 years or so ago film was just beginning.
I find it amusing that people were intrigued by watching ordinary scenes such as the arrival of a train. As simple as such scenes were, it makes sense that people were excited by the fact that they could watch moving pictures and recordings of real life situations simply because they had never experienced it before.
After watching Neil Patrick Harris in a musical scene from How I Met Your Mother, I thought about all of the things to consider in order to create those few minutes of the show. With the music, choreography, lighting, scenery, camera angles, and additional elements to consider, the entire process of making a scene from a television show or film seems overwhelming. I now understand why the credits at the end of movies seem to be never-ending.
I believe that the metaphor stating that the camera is the audience's eye is quite accurate. The camera and its recordings allow the audience to experience a journey or situation from a different perspective. This seems to be a primary reason that many people, including myself, enjoy film so much: it allows them to experience and be a part of a story. Whether this story is realistic or not, most people are drawn to the world of film and the feelings it provokes within them.

3 comments:

  1. And one of the things I love about that particular musical sequence is that (relative to moviemaking) it had to be done QUICKLY. The planning for it may have begun a month in advance, the recording done a week or two in advance, the extra dancers rehearsed a few days in advance, and then comes the one day -- the one day! -- that is your only chance to get the whole thing on film. And they make it look so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In response to both your post and Donna's reply, the fact that it had to be done so quickly simply awes me. I know movie productions aren't exactly on a relaxed schedule, but they still have room here and there. To imagine putting that musical sequence together and having it look as good as it did in a matter of a single day or two just blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exiting a train does seem boring doesn't it? I'm still dumbfounded about how awestruck people were with it. I just have to remember to put everything into perspective. Things weren't like they are now back then. That idea was revolutionary and innovative.

    ReplyDelete